When you decide to have a hair transplant procedure, it is for obtaining a new, aesthetic and stylish look with no balding spots on your scalp. However, the idea of a hair transplant scar is a deal breaker. While it makes many of the patients planning for hair transplant nervous, this problem is worth to be experienced for the promising results; especially when you know that there are ways to hide the scar and sometimes the remaining scar is not even visible.
Hair transplant techniques and scarring
The level and the structure of scar which occurs after hair transplant procedure depends on the technique used in the procedure. The technology and medical developments allow the hair transplant specialist to perform very smooth and pain-free procedures with the minimum amount of side effects. As the techniques advance, the degree of the hair transplant scar decreases.
The most common image comes to the mind when thinking about hair transplant scar is a linear scar at the back area of the scalp. This image leads us to FUT hair transplant technique. In FUT hair transplant technique, strip of scalp is extracted in order to collect the hair follicles from the strip to transplant them to the hair loss area. It requires stitches since the hair transplant specialist uses a scalpel to remove the strip.
The scar may change in length and width depending on the size of the strip that needed to be collected. Though gives effective results, FUT technique can be considered as an old technique in hair transplant and its major disadvantage is the significant hair transplant scar it leaves which is often difficult to hide. But then again, if you have a suitable haircut with a length which is long enough to hide the linear scar, it is possible to cover the FUT scar.
FUE and DHI scar
When it comes to FUE technique for hair transplant procedures, the hair transplant scar gets a lot milder. It is the most developed and least invasive type of hair restoration operations available today.
FUE technique is performed without using blades or stitches; hair grafts are harvested individually from the donor area which is usually the back of the head and transplant those hair grafts to the recipient area one by one. In FUE hair transplant method, micro-punch tools are used from which only small “dot” shape hair transplant scar is expected.
These scars remain as very minimal white dots when wounds heal and the scar fades away sometime after the FUE procedure and they are usually very hard to notice without a very close look. It takes around 10-15 days for wounds to heal and scabs to disappear; until that time the spots will look red and more clear. Considering your hair will reach to a certain length, these small white dots will be almost invisible behind your grown hair.
The other latest technique DHI is performed with a device called “Choi Implanter Pen” which reduces the possibility of any harm for harvested hair follicles during the procedure. Just like FUE technique, DHI technique also may leave white, dot shaped scars which are easily covered as the hair grows.
FUE and DHI hair transplant techniques are often introduced with “no scar” feature, which is not a false statement considering the hair transplant scar they cause is often not noticeable even if you cut your hair very short.
How can I conceal scars after hair transplant?
If you had any kind of hair transplant procedure and it left scar, there are ways to treat or conceal it. Suitable treatment ways may change depending on the size and features of the scar.
- FUE technique to cover scars: If you had a hair transplant with FUT technique before and have linear scar afterwards, scarring areas can be treated with FUE hair transplant technique. The transplanted hair can hide the hair transplant scar with newly grown hair upon it without leaving another linear scar. The success of this technique for hiding scars depends on the texture of the scar because scarred skin does not always receive the hair follicles as successfully as healthy skin does.
- Laser treatments: There are certain types of laser treatment effective to reduce scarring on the skin after the hair transplant operation. Laser treatments stimulates the skin structure and collagen production and help to decrease the hair transplant scar Though not specially designed for hair transplant scars, laser treatments are widely used for this purpose. Since the results depend on the skin type, it should be done after a delicate examination.
- Scar revision surgery: The scar tissue caused by FUT hair transplant is surgically removed with better medical techniques and the new revision scar is handled much more delicately. This still may leave a scar but it will be a much less noticeable one surely.
- Scalp micropigmentation: This is a medical way of tattooing. Scalp pigmentation is often preferred for the white dots left after FUE technique; the dots can be colored to the skin color and become invisible. Micropigmentation procedures can be performed permanently or temporarily.
- Temporary cosmetic products: Cosmetic concealer products may help to hide the hair transplant scar and make the hair look more voluminous; however, they are temporary and the regular usage of them may be expensive.
Importance of the quality of hair transplant on the scar
Hair transplant is a delicate procedure needs to be done by talented, experienced and professional hands. First thing to remember concerning scars is the quality of the procedure. If the operation is done without giving the enough care, the possibility of scarring increases along with all the other side effects and it would get harder to fix the unwanted results. The same applies for hair transplant scar removal procedures as well; whichever you prefer, they should be done after a detailed physical examination and pre-operative tests made by a specialist since every individual has a different type of skin and scalp structure.
All the hair transplant procedures in Monoplant Hair Clinic are carried very carefully and delicately by our professional hair transplant specialists in order to prevent any unwanted results and side effects including hair transplant scar.
Most of our hair transplant patients do not need any kind of revision treatment after their procedure and enjoy their results in a long term. In order to find out about your personalized treatment plan and detailed information about the procedures with the minimum risk of scarring, talk to our medical consultants now.