Hair transplant procedures have been on use as a remedy for hair loss for around 60-70 years now; it has been a hope for many, promising permanent and natural results for people suffering from hair loss caused by any reason.
FUT technique stands in the middle of this hair transplant period; it has been a widely preferred option by hair specialists and patients in late 90s and 2000s though it was regarded with suspicion when first invented by Dr. Bernstein in 1995.
As the years pass and technological developments along with medical developments has reached a very significant and rising point, FUT hair transplant technique started to lose its popularity since new techniques for hair transplant with lots of advantages has taken place in the hair transplant field. Even in this case, being a very effective technique, FUT has kept being used for in suitable cases; however, it has a big downside which make the technique to lose its popularity and it is the FUT scar.
How the FUT procedure is performed?
In order to understand the nature of FUT scar, it is important to take a look at the procedure itself and how it is performed.
- First the blood tests are done and the treatment plan is created according to your physical examination made by hair transplant specialist
- FUT hair transplant procedure starts with local anesthesia in order to provide you with the most comfortable procedure possible.
- In the next step, a strip with hair follicular units is taken out from the back of the scalp carefully with the suitable and microscopic tools. Follicular units consist of 1-4 hair follicles and the hair itself; sometimes, units may contain only a single hair.
- The donor area of the taken strip is stitched together.
- The hair follicles are extracted from this strip delicately; by this way the damage possibility of the hair follicles is minimized.
- The collected hair follicles are transplanted into the channels opened in the hair loss area which is usually the frontal scalp.
Which part of the procedure causes the FUT scar?
The key point of FUT hair transplant technique is removing a strip from the donor area; although it provides some important advantages such as minimum amount of damage for hair follicles and the possibility to treat relatively larger areas comparing other techniques, the removal of the strip brings the necessity for stitches. The donor area is stitched together after the strip is taken out and this causes the formation of a permanent FUT scar tissue.
FUT hair transplant is a minimally invasive technique; it requires longer period of healing than newer techniques such as FUE.
The size of FUT scar
The size of the strip may change depending on the number of grafts required for the treatment plan; the size of the FUT scar will change according to the size of the strip as well.
Is it worth having FUT hair transplant despite the scar?
Advantages of FUT technique
- In FUT, the possible harm to the collected hair follicles is minimized because they are removed from the in the strip which is where their natural place. While the transplantation is being performed, the possibility of damage for the waiting follicles is not a high chance.
- FUT technique allows the hair transplant specialist to perform the operation in a shorter time since the hair follicles are not removed one by one but collected with the strip altogether.
- FUT- strip technique is beneficial for those who has a limited source of follicles in their donor area and those whose hair loss degree has reached to a significant point. Strip technique allows the specialist to collect higher number of grafts comparing other hair transplant techniques.
- FUT technique is highly preferred by women as well; the method can be performed without shaving or shortening the hair so people can have it done without having an effect on their social life.
Every patient has different expectations, conditions and priorities about the hair transplant procedure. The best way to decide if you should have FUT hair transplant despite the FUT scar is to talk to a hair transplant specialist and see about the pros and cons specifically for your individual condition.
Is there a solution for FUT hair transplant scar?
Despite the reality of a visible and permanent scar, FUT technique is still considered to be the second most preferred hair transplant technique after FUE technique. There have been some solutions found to be effective for hiding the FUT scar.
FUE technique to hide the FUT scar
Depending on the suitability of the donor area and the scar texture, the scar tissue from FUT can be treated by FUE hair transplant. The hair follicles can be transplanted on the scarred area and the scar can be easily left behind the newly transplanted hair as it grows. However, this is not applicable for all FUT scar cases; therefore, in order to find out if you are a right candidate, a detailed examination made by a hair transplant specialist is very important.
Scar removal surgery
Another treatment applicable for FUT scar is to remove the scar surgically and treat the area with most developed technological tools and techniques. This naturally leaves another scar in the area, however, the new scar is not as visible as the old one since the scar removal treatment handles the area much more delicately.
In some cases, FUT scar can be faded away with laser treatments as well, but then again, the effectiveness of it totally depends on the structure of the scar and therefore the most suitable treatment should be decided by your hair transplant specialist.
What are the scar-free alternatives of FUT technique?
The best alternative for FUT technique is the newer techniques of FUE; FUE does not involve any skin removal or stitches. FUE is a much less invasive procedure than FUT; it does not leave a scar, the results are the most successful ones and the recovery is very comfortable.
As Monoplant Hair Clinic, we are proud to offer all kinds of hair transplant techniques performed by the most talented and experienced hair transplant specialists of the branch. Your hair transplant treatment will be done with the most suitable technique according to your expectations, priorities and individual condition. In order to find out more about FUT scar, other techniques and get a personalized treatment plan, please contact us; our medical consultants are waiting for you.